Sunday, March 18, 2012

A long run above Waterton

The last few weeks my back has but hurting. I did figure out that the problem was how I was sitting to work on my laptop. Since I changed how I sit in the last couple days it’s seemed to hurt less but all over instead of a lot in a single spot. I think it’s getting better.

Today’s Run: 20.4 mile trail run earlier today. My total time was 3:40:19 or about 10:48 per mile. My avg HR was 154 which is a pretty high heat rate to have for almost 4 hrs. On some of the climbs my HR was in the 170’s and I was a little worried I wouldn't have any matches left for my long decent. The first 6 miles was a pretty easy climb. After that the next 6 miles had 3 very mean climbs and then I had long 8.4 miles decent. On this run I saw it all pavement, dirt, sand, mud and snow.

Food on the run review: Every weekend I have been experimenting with a new food. Last week was apple slices which worked so well I took them out on this run (mile 6 & 13). The new food I tried on this run was beef jerky. I ate some at mile 9 and mile 16 and the results were different at those two spots. At mile 9 it was a perfect salty treat that I enjoyed but at mile 16 it didn’t taste as great and I had to force it down and drink a lot get the taste out of my mouth. Functionally it was great both times I felt better and I got some protein in my system. It didn’t cause any stomach problems either.

Post run funny story: This trail is about a 30 min drive from home so I filled up on gas and bought a bottle of chocolate milk for the dive home. I was dehydrated and hungry and it tasted so wonderful that I drank the whole thing in no time. When I got home I went to log my food and discovered that I drank 880 cals of chocolate milk on the drive home.



Here is the profile map of my run and the avg pace for different sections. Worked out to about 2,400 ft of climbing. The last downhill destroyed my quads, 8.4 miles and 1,300 ft of downhill.



Here is the Dam at about mile 6 after this it gets really ugly.


This is a picture of the top of the mountain at about 8 miles, I ended up running both of these trails


On the back side I hit some snowy sections


and a few water crossings


No comments:

Post a Comment