Sunday, March 4, 2012

2012 March RMRR 3mi Race Report

3 miles – 19:45, Avg HR 175 

Pre-Race: zero race preparation My friends talked me into doing this race Saturday night, it was only $10 so what the heck. Except earlier on Saturday I had done a hilly 4 mile tempo run at 6:49 pace and my quads felt a little beat up. Also I ate pizza for dinner which I wouldn’t have if I knew I was going to be racing the next day.

Race Day: Windy! The sun was out and it was around 40 degrees which would have been perfect race weather except the wind was blowing like crazy. The wind made it feel much colder so I actually wore my jacket in the race. Since I ran a speed workout yesterday and the wind was wild I decided to lower my goals and have a pressure free race fun race with a goal of running 7:00 minute pace.

Mile 1 - 6:50 Avg HR 165
We ran with the wind at our backs for about ¼ and then the rest of the first mile was into the wind. Even running into the wind I felt really good and was able to run a little faster than my goal pace. I was really surprised that I was running so well on somewhat tired legs in the wind.

Mile 2 - 6:35 Avg HR 178
This race was set up with a handicap system, I started 11:00 after the gun went off. In the second mile I started catching up to big groups of people. Passing people felt good for my confidence and propelled me even faster. This mile had lot of turns so the wind was on and then off the cycling of the wind kind of felt like running hills.

Mile 3 - 6:20 Avg HR 185The last mile just I felt awesome and took off, running negative splits feel great. The last ¼ mile was a long stretch straight into the wind. I felt like I was sprinting but it probably wasn’t faster than 6:00 min pace. This race it was put on by the local running club and I joined the club and signed up for the whole year, 12 races for $35! (not $35 each $35 for all 12 races)



I don’t know what happened today I ran great with really poor race preparation. Maybe it was the fact that I didn’t put any pressure on myself. I think that I would have put in a really awesome time if it wasn’t for that wind. But still I am happy with the time and effort I put in today.



No comments:

Post a Comment